Sunday 8 November 2009

The journey we make on our own

Remembrance Sunday, London 2009

Today the red Wreath of Remembrance and the white Wreath of Peace will be laid at the war memorial in Clapham. The Wreath of Remembrance is in memory of all of who have died in all wars throughout the world. The Wreath of Peace embodies our hopes and prayers that peace will prevail and that wars will be cease.

Today in the Book of Remembrance in which people write the names of their loved ones who have died an entry reads, “In memory of all pilgrims to Santiago”.

The pilgrims who attend this Church offer these songs to mark this day.



When I am down and, O my soul, so weary; when troubles come and my heart burdened be;
then I am still and wait here in the silence, until you come and sit awhile with me …
There is no life, no life without its hunger; each restless heart beats so imperfectly;
but when you come and I am filled with wonder, sometimes I think I glimpse eternity.
You raise me up so I can stand on mountains; you raise me up to walk on stormy seas.I am strong when I am on your shoulders; you raise me up to more than I can be.

Traditionally the Iona Boat song is said to have been played when the bodies of the ancient Scottish kings were being ferried to their final resting place.



From the falter of breath,
through the silence of death,
to the wonder that’s breaking beyond;
God has woven a way, unapparent by day,
for all those of whom heaven is fond.
From frustration and pain,
through hope hard to sustain,
to the wholeness here promised, there known;
Christ has gone where we fear and has vowed to be near
on the journey we make on our own.

1 comment:

  1. May God bless those who laid down their lives so that others could live in freedom.

    ReplyDelete